Bar Harbor in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Acadia’s Founding Father
Acadia National Park
George B. Dorr, a gentleman scholar and lover of nature, devoted most of his adult life to the creation, maintenance, and expansion of Acadia National Park. The son of affluent Bostonians, Dorr first visited Mount Desert Island in 1868 and later decided to make it his primary home. He envisioned the Sieur de Monts property as a managed landscape and the “foundation stones on which the future Park was built.” He named the spring in honor of a French nobleman who led an expedition to this coastal region in the early 1600s. Besides donating his Sieur de Monts and “Old Farm” properties to the park, Dorr spent most of his inheritance to create the Acadia you enjoy today.
“ . . . This spring was truly a magnificent one . . . wonderfully placed, with the mountains rising steeply up beside it, contrasting with the Great and Little Meadow lands on either side. ”
George B. Dorr, 1942
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 44° 21.72′ N, 68° 12.48′ W. Marker is in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker can be reached from Suier de Monts Road. Touch for map. Marker is near the Sieur de Monts Nature Center in Acadia National Park. Marker is in this post office area: Bar Harbor ME 04609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. George Bucknam Dorr (here, next to this marker); Sieur de Monts Spring: The Heart of Acadia National Park (a few steps from this marker); Wabanaki Traditions (within shouting distance of this marker); Wigwam/wikuwam (within shouting distance of this marker); Acadian Lights (approx. one mile away); Volcanic Landscape Exposed (approx. one mile away); Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. one mile away); Cadillac Mountain (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bar Harbor.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a photograph of “Guests gather[ing] on the lawn at Sieur de Monts for a concert about 1920.”
Two photos are at the upper right of the marker. These have captions of “Dorr built the octagonal, tile-roofed Spring Canopy in 1909, seen here in an early postcard.” and “Dorr pauses on the Beachcroft Path about 1920. In 1916 his official title was ‘park’s custodian.’ He served as the park’s first superintendent from 1919 to 1944.”
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.