Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moncton in Westmoreland County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
 

First Settlers / Premiers Colons

 
 
First Settlers / Premiers Colons Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 29, 2017
1. First Settlers / Premiers Colons Marker
Inscription.

This part of "Le Coude" (The Bend) was in earlier times called Terre-Rouge. Three families from the Grand-Prée region first settled here:

Jean Babineau & Isabelle Breau, circa 1733,
followed by Joseph Breau & Isabelle Thibodeau
and Charles Thibodeau & Brigitte Breau.

Near this spot, a chapel was built, circa 1748.

Further upriver, at the mouth of Jonathan Creek, the following families founded the Village-des-Bonappetit, circa 1741:

Pierre LaLande & Marguerite LaPierre,
Joseph LaLande & Francoise LaPierre,
Joseph LaPierre & Marguerite Brun.

In honor of these Acadians, first Europeans to settle within the present limits of Moncton.

This monument, erected by the Société Historique Acadienne and the Association des Babineau, was unveiled June 14, 1986 on the occasion of the Babineau Family's 10th Reunion.

Cette partie du coude s'appelait jadis Terre-Rouge, trois familles de la région de Grand-Prée vinrent s'y etablir:

Jean Babineau & Isabelle Breau, vers 1733,
puis Joseph Breau & Isabelle Thibodeau et
Charles Thibodeau & Brigitte Breau.

Près d'ici, une chapelle fut construite, vers 1748

Plus en amont, au confluent du ruisseau Jonathan, les familles suivantes fonderent le Village-des-Bonappétit, vers 1741:

Pierre
First Settlers / Premiers Colons Sponsors Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 29, 2017
2. First Settlers / Premiers Colons Sponsors Marker
LaLande & Marguerite LaPierre,
Joseph LaLande & Francoise LaPierre,
Joseph LaPierre & Marguerite Brun.

Hommage à ces acadiens et acadiennes, premiers européens à se fixer dans les limites actuelles de Moncton.

Ce monument, érigé par la Société Historique Acadienne et l'Association des Babineau, fut dévoilé le 14 juin 1986 à l'occasion de la 10ième recontre des Babineau.
 
Erected 1986 by the Société Historique Acadienne and the Association des Babineau.
 
Location. 46° 5.415′ N, 64° 46.25′ W. Marker is in Moncton, New Brunswick, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New Brunswick Route 106) and Bendview Court, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bore View Park, Moncton, New Brunswick E1C 0H7, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Salter Moncton 100 Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Armenian Genocide Centennial Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Combat of the/du Petitcodiac (approx. 21 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Moncton. (Submitted on August 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)

First Settlers / Premiers Colons Monument image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 29, 2017
3. First Settlers / Premiers Colons Monument

2. Moncton. (Submitted on August 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. City of Moncton Official Website. (Submitted on August 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement