Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Town of Plattsburgh in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Catholic Summer School

 
 
Catholic Summer School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ellen Adams, August 6, 2017
1. Catholic Summer School Marker
Inscription. Catholic Summer School of America 1896-1941 on this site. Resort and educational campus with cottages, chapel, dining hall, auditorium & post office.
 
Erected 2014 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
 
Location. 44° 39.294′ N, 73° 26.592′ W. Marker is in Town of Plattsburgh, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on U.S. 9 (New York State Route 9) north of Champlain Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plattsburgh NY 12901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilliland Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Post Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gilliland Homestead (approx. 1.7 miles away); Friswell Patent (approx. 1.8 miles away); FB-111A Strategic Bomber (approx. 1.8 miles away); B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); War of 1812 Trail (approx. 1.9 miles away); Blast Furnace (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Town of Plattsburgh.
 
Regarding Catholic Summer School. Cliff Haven, on Lake Champlain just south of Plattsburgh, was chosen as the site for the Catholic Summer School of America in 1896. The Delaware & Hudson Railroad donated the 450-acre site, and permanent cottages, lecture and dining halls, and a chapel were constructed. Visitors came from throughout the northeastern United States, via train and steamboat, to partake in lectures and classes, and to enjoy a variety of recreational activities, such as boating, swimming, tennis, and golf.

By the 1930s, the number of visitors was starting to decline, and World War II brought the summer school to an end. Several buildings burned down and many others were razed. The site is now home to the Cliff Haven Estates housing development, which began construction in 1955.

The Clinton County Historical Association in Plattsburgh holds a large collection of photographs of the Catholic Summer School in its heyday.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on August 6, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement