Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, McGillivray joined the North West Company in 1784, became a partner in 1790 and its principal director in 1804. Fort Kaministiquia, the Company's wilderness headquarters, was renamed Fort William in his honour in 1807. He was largely responsible for the Nor'Westers' bitter opposition to Lord Selkirk's Red River Colony, but later supported negotiations which led to the union of the Hudson's Bay and North West Companies in 1821. He served as lieutenant-colonel of the Corps of Canadian Voyageurs during the War of 1812 and as a member of the Legislative Council of Lower Canada 1814-25.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 48° 22.935′ N, 89° 14.743′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Donald Street East and May Street South, on the right when traveling east on Donald Street East. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of Thunder Bay City Hall, NE corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5K4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Kaministiquia 1717 (here, next to this marker); The Western Route of the C.P.R. The Capture of Fort William (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fort William (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); a different marker also named Fort William (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 4.6 kilometers away); Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Canadian Car & Foundry (approx. 4.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - William McGillivray. (Submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 139 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.