East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University
Situated on 677 acres extending south of the plank road from Lansing, the campus took shape under the axes and spades of students themselves-between classes in chemistry, English, mathematics, and agriculture. A women's course focusing on "domestic economy" was added in 1896.
Democratizing higher education on a rapidly developing frontier, the college quickly became a national model and was cited by advocates for a system of federal support.
U.S. Representative Justin Smith Morrill of Vermont won congressional approval of such a measure as civil war splintered the nation.
Designated Michigan's Morrill Act beneficiary in 1863, the institution that became Michigan State University introduced the nation's first course in scientific agriculture in 1865. It was an early milestone on a continuing journey of knowledge discovery and its application to everyday life.
The Women's Building, which included a dormitory and was completed on this site in 1900, was converted into strictly instructional space in 1937 and named in Morrill's honor. In 2013, it was razed due to structural deterioration, and Justin Morrill's name was given to the university's historic Agriculture Hall.
Panel 1 Image Caption: President Lincoln signing the Morrill Act.
Stained glass, Alumni Memorial Chapel.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Location. 42° 43.991′ N, 84° 28.835′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive north of East Circle Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University, in Morrill Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 449 East Circle Drive, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Women's Building (a few steps from this marker); Harry J. Eustace Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (about 400 feet away); Michigan State University (about 600 feet away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (about 600 feet away); Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dora Hall Stockman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sleepy Hollow (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Also see . . . Land-grant university. Wikipedia article (Submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.