Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fishersville in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Woodrow Wilson General Hospital

 
 
Woodrow Wilson General Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Pete Payette, August 10, 2017
1. Woodrow Wilson General Hospital Marker
Inscription. Groundbreaking for the Woodrow Wilson General Hospital was June 26, 1942. The hospital was named after Woodrow Wilson, the 28th president of the United States and a native of the neighboring city of Staunton. The federal government acquired 652 acres of land encircling this monument from private landowners.

About 135 single story brick buildings, with 2.5 miles of sheltered walkways, served as a military hospital caring for the sick, injured, and wounded World War II soldiers. Soldiers returned to the U.S. by ship to Norfolk, Virginia, and then traveled by train to the nearby village of Fishersville where they were transported by ambulance to the hospital. From the time the first patients arrived in June of 1943 until the spring of 1946, more than 4,000 soldiers were cared for on these grounds. The hospital also provided rehabilitation services for disabled soldiers, enabling them to return home and lead productive lives.

After the war, the property was declared surplus and repurposed with the dual vision of rehabilitation and education. Half the site became the first state-owned and operated comprehensive rehabilitation facility in the nation, known today as the Wilson Workforce and Rehabilitation Center. The other portion, under the auspices of the Augusta County School System, now includes Wilson Memorial
Woodrow Wilson General Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Pete Payette, August 10, 2017
2. Woodrow Wilson General Hospital Marker
High School, Wilson Middle and Elementary Schools, Valley Career and Technical Center, and other local government facilities. Most of the original structures were demolished during the 1960s and 1970s.

This monument honors the soldiers cared for at the Woodrow Wilson General Hospital and the members of the military and civilian communities who treated and cared for them. May we never forget our soldiers and the courageous sacrifices they render to safeguard our freedoms in the greatest nation ever, these United States of America.

Dedicated on Memorial Day
May 30, 2016
 
Erected 2016 by Valley Career and Technical Center, and V.F.W. Post #2216.
 
Location. 38° 7.027′ N, 78° 59.387′ W. Marker is in Fishersville, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on John Lewis Road north of Woodrow Wilson Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fishersville VA 22939, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Woodrow Wilson General Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tinkling Spring Church
Woodrow Wilson General Hospital image. Click for full size.
By Pete Payette
3. Woodrow Wilson General Hospital
1944 aerial view (south at top). The first two rows of buildings on the left (east) side of the complex are all that remain today.
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Avenue of Trees (approx. 3 miles away); The Barger House (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Settler's Grave (approx. 3.1 miles away); Great Indian Warrior Trading Path (approx. 3.1 miles away); United States National Military Cemetery - Staunton (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fishersville.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. War, World II
 
Woodrow Wilson General Hospital image. Click for full size.
By Pete Payette
4. Woodrow Wilson General Hospital
circa 1950.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement