East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The clear, cool stream ran through sandy black loam over clay soil and has long been a gathering place. Discovery of the remains of a large fire pit and of projectile points at its edge indicate reoccurring habitation dating to 1,000 to 3,000 BC, with Native American presence in the campus area continuing into the 1850s. Records from 1849 describe them trading with Robert Burcham, the area's first white resident. Burcham built his cabin on the site of the current Music Building, clearing portions of adjacent land later set aside for preservation as the university's "Sacred Space."
College Hall, the first campus building and the nation's first building dedicated to the scientific study of agriculture, was erected in 1856 where Beaumont Tower now stands. It is depicted in the university's official seal, seen at the top of this marker. Its bricks were formed from clay soil from the area bounded by the westerly portion of today's West Circle Drive. Labeled "Hollow" on an 1896 map, the depression from where the clay was dug and the adjacent open
Botany professor William J. Beal appropriated the area in 1873 to plant a collection of 140 species of forage grasses and clovers for study. Those test plots were the beginning of today's Botanic Garden where Beal created his "Wild Garden" just across the street in 1877. He continued his experiments with the grasses, and one report has him placing 10,000 plants in the beds of the hollow in 1894 alone. His work earned him regard as perhaps the country's first turf grass scientist, among other recognitions.
A number of dead trees were removed from the banks of the
Sleepy Hollow was officially reunited with the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden in 1961 when the soil of the east slope was treated with acidification amendments to accommodate a new collection of rhododendron and azalea hybrids.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Location. 42° 43.912′ N, 84° 28.992′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive 0.2 miles east of Kalamazoo Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University. It is on eastbound West Circle Drive, across the street from the MSU Libraries building. Marker is in this post office area: East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan State University (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (within shouting distance of this marker); Botanical Laboratory (about 400 feet away, measured Walter Adams Field (about 600 feet away); W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (about 600 feet away); Alice B. Cowles House (about 700 feet away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (about 800 feet away); Dora Hall Stockman (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Categories. • Education • Native Americans • Natural Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Looking for an image of Sleepy Hollow itself. • Can you help?