Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
In response to a brief from Lakehead educators and business representatives outlining northwestern Ontario's need for an institution of higher education, a provincial Order-in-Council established the Lakehead Technical Institute in 1946. Two years later the Institute was opened in temporary quarters on Cumberland Street, Port Arthur. An act of 1957 gave control of the institute to the Board of Governors of the newly-created Lakehead College, constructed that year on land donated by the City of Port Arthur. The original Lakehead College Act was amended in 1962 to permit the granting of degrees in Arts and Science. In 1965 Lakehead University was created by a provincial Act and conferred its first degrees.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 48° 25.358′ N, 89° 15.666′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Oliver Road and Agora Circle. Touch for map. Marker is located at Lakehead University, at the traffic circle on Agora Circle just south of Oliver Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5E1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured Cummins Site (approx. 2.3 kilometers away); Simon James Dawson (approx. 2.5 kilometers away); Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968 (approx. 3 kilometers away); Connaught Square (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904 (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Sir William C. Van Horne (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); C.D. Howe (approx. 4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Lakehead University. (Submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 140 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.