Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Simon James Dawson
Born in Scotland, Dawson emigrated to Canada as a young man and began his career as a civil engineer. In 1857 as a member of a Canadian government expedition, he surveyed a line of road from the Lakehead to Fort Garry and in 1858-59 further explored that area. His report greatly stimulated Canadian interest in the West. In 1868 he began construction of a wagon and water route following his earlier survey. It was traversed in 1870 by the Wolseley Expedition sent to preserve order during the first Riel uprising. Dawson represented Algoma in the Ontario legislature 1875-78 and in the Dominion parliament 1878-91.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 48° 26.131′ N, 89° 14.03′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Colonel Keene Drive and High Street South, on the right when traveling south on Colonel Keene Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located in Hillcrest Park. Marker is in this post office area: Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 3K5, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cummins Site (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968 Connaught Square (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904 (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Sir William C. Van Horne (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); C.D. Howe (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 2.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Simon James Dawson. (Submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.