Kingstowne in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Schools at Potters Hill. Based on picture captions left by early local historians like Edith Sprouse we believe there were at least three different school houses at the intersection of Telegraph and Beulah Roads. We have pictures and some dates for the second and third Potter’s Hill schools. The original school probably dated back to at least 1870 when public education became mandatory under state law.
(photo caption, top left)The second Potter’s Hill School, a typical one room school house used until the 1916 school year. Most of the students in the picture have been identified and included children from the Baggett, Allen, Landstreet, Petitt, Jacobs, Brown, Smith, Schurtz, Dorsey, and Talbert families. The teacher was Lelia Milstead and the dog in front of the students was named “Shea.”
(photo caption, center left)Front Entrance of the third and last Potter’s Hill School. Local residents from the Potter's Hill area and the village of Accotink dug a basement on the corner across from the one room school and convinced the county to build a modern schoolhouse on the site. The school burned down in 1932.
Marjorie Baggett Tharpe who still lives near Potter's Hill provides the following description of the school. “Inside was a wide hall. The left, front room was
Potter’s Hill An Entrepreneurial Site. The land at Potter’s Hill was used by the Potter, Riston and Gailliot Families over time to support multiple families, provide educational opportunities (schools), and employment opportunities. The land was first used as an agricultural farm, then a chicken farm, a sand and gravel business, a landfill, and more recently recreational pursuits (golf) and commercial/office use. The Gailliot family has been very creative in re-inventing business uses for the land since their arrival around 1920.
The Potter Family. James Potter and his wife Susanna were born in Fairfax County, Virginia, during the 1780s. The 1850 census shows, they owned a large tract of land along what would become Telegraph Road, not far from its intersection with present day Beulah Street. The land included a large hill that became known as Potter's Hill. James and Susanna lived there with three of their sons: Joseph, George and his wife Francis, and Charles and his wife Elizabeth.
Millan/Potter Cemetery. The
The Gailliot Family Arrives At Potter’s Hill. Henry and Franceska Gailliot and their sons, Joseph, Charles, and Clem arrived at Potter's Hill around 1920. They began raising chickens and selling eggs to Chestnut Farms Dairy in Washington, D.C. Eventually the family had eight thousand chickens laying four thousand eggs a day. During the Depression the Gailliots switched from selling eggs to raising broiling chickens to sell for food. The chicken operation continued until the early 1950s when a fire killed seven thousand chickens, followed by the flock being decimated by a virus a year later.
(photo caption, top right) Aerial shot of the Gailliot property at Potter's Hill when it was still a chicken farm. This picture shows the two Gailliot houses, the concrete grain elevator, and the sharp turn at the end of Beulah Road where it met Telegraph Road.
(photo caption, bottom right) The Gailliot’s original house and later business office. It contained a log building within the structure, most likely one of the Potter’s early houses.
The Gravel Business. The Gailliot’s land was laced with gravel deposits so brothers Clem and Albert became partners in the operation. Their company eventually became Hilltop Sand and Gravel and provided Irwin Concrete with gravel, some of which was used in the construction of the first Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Location. 38° 44.561′ N, 77° 9.747′ W. Marker is in Kingstowne, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Beulah Street and Hilltop Village Center Drive, on the left when traveling east on Old Beulah Street. Touch for map. It is in the Hilltop Village Center which is located in the northeast corner of Telegraph Road (County Route 611) and Beulah Street (County Route 613). This intersection is the southwest corner of the modern Kingstowne community. Across Beulah Street is the southeast corner of Franconia and south of Telegraph Road is now part of the grounds at the U.S. Army’s Fort Belvoir. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22315, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Spy with the Glass Eye (a few steps from this marker); Newington (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mount Air (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mount Air Historic Site (approx. 1˝ miles away); Carrolltown (approx. 1.6 miles away); Laurel Grove Colored School and Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Belvoir (approx. 2.4 miles away); Belvoir (approx. 2.4 miles away).
More about this marker. Also on the marker are two un-captioned photos in the lower left showing schoolchildren and showing a side view of the third school. In the center top is an un-captioned un-annotated reproduction of a section of an old map showing the general area. The center photograph on the right is an arial photo of the gravel works.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on September 25, 2017, by Samuel Paik of Gainesville, Virginia.