Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

College Field

 
 
College Field Marker - Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
1. College Field Marker - Side 1
Inscription.
Side 1
In 1900 about 625 students attended the State Agricultural College, known commonly as M.A.C. The school was the precursor to Michigan State University. Making a new commitment to serious intercollegiate athletic competition, the college purchased land here, along the Red Cedar River, for an athletic field. Intramural sports had been part of M.A.C. life since its founding in 1855; however, contests with other institutions did not begin until 1884. On April 18, 1902, the M.A.C. Aggies baseball team met the University of Michigan Wolverines in the first game held at this site. The new venue had baseball and football fields, circular and straight tracks, and, later, lights and a grandstand. In 1923 football moved south to a new stadium, but baseball remained at College Field.

Side 2
College Field opened in 1902 as the primary sports venue for "the Aggies" of the State Agricultural College. Some sports relocated, but baseball remained here and was later joined by softball and soccer. In 1925 the school became the Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, prompting a change in the team name from Aggies to Spartans. Two men stand out in the history of College Field and Aggie/Spartan sports. Lyman Frimodig (1891-1972) played baseball and football here,
College Field Marker - Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
2. College Field Marker - Side 2
earning a record-setting ten letters in three sports. He spent over forty years with the athletic department, serving for a time as assistant director. John Kobs (1898-1968) coached Spartan baseball for nearly forty years and captured the Big Ten title in 1954. In 1969 the baseball field was named in his honor.
 
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2205.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 43.924′ N, 84° 29.392′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from Kalamazoo Street west of Chestnut Steet, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University between Jenison Fieldhouse and College Field. Marker is at or near this postal address: 261 Kalamazoo Street, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Spartan (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (approx. mile away); Walter Adams Field (approx. mile away); Botanical Laboratory (approx.
College Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
3. College Field Marker
View looking west from the baseball stadium.
mile away); Alice B. Cowles House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sleepy Hollow (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan State University (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
 
Categories. Sports
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement