Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968
This celebrated Canadian army nurse and public health authority was born in Port Arthur. In 1909 "Beth" Smellie became night supervisor at McKellar General Hospital. Joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915, she served in France and England. Elizabeth Smellie was demobilized in 1920 and three years later became Chief Superintendent of the Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada. She re-entered the army in 1940 and a year later supervised the organization of the Canadian Women's Army Corps. The first woman to attain the rank of Colonel in Canada's Armed Forces, Col. Smellie achieved many honours, including Commander of the British Empire and the Royal Red Cross Medal. After World War II she returned to the V.O.N., and retired in 1947.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 48° 26.215′ N, 89° 13.589′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Waverley Street and Secord Street, on the right when traveling west on Waverley Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Waverley Park. Marker is in this post office area: Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 1B7, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Connaught Square (about 210 The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904 (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Simon James Dawson (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Sir William C. Van Horne (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Cummins Site (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); C.D. Howe (approx. one kilometer away); Lakehead University (approx. 3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Elizabeth Smellie. (Submitted on August 14, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • War, World I • War, World II • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.