Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Douglass and McGar Parks
Douglass Park led directly to the creation of another African-American park. Crowds who gathered at Douglass Park to watch Negro baseball teams play became so large that the games moved to the Texas & Pacific Ballpark, which sat on a railroad right of way across) North Main Street. The ballpark was upgraded between 1907 and 1909 and changed names to McGar Park (McGar's Field), after businessman Hiram McGar. Both black and
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15744.)
Location. 32° 46.156′ N, 97° 20.291′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun Street and NE 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Calhoun Street. Touch for map. This marker stands next to the flagpole, outside of the stadium at La Grave Field, now closed. One cannot access the marker directly. It must been seen from outside of the fence. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 NE 6th Street, Fort Worth TX 76164, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding Fort Worth (approx. ¾ mile away); First School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Site of Camp Worth (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Worth (approx. 0.8 miles away); Leonard Brothers Department Store (approx. 0.9 miles away); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Categories. • African Americans • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.