Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Three Disks, One Lacking
—Alexander Calder (1898-1976) —
Alexander “Sandy” Calder descended from a family of famous Philadelphia sculptors. His father’s Swann Memorial Fountain on Logan Square and grandfather’s City Hall sculptures represent art work from three generations. Trained as a mechanical engineer and artist, Calder invented “mobiles” and “stabiles,” such as this stationary work, as well as paintings, toys, tapestries, and jewelry.
Edmund Bacon. Director of Philadelphia’s City Planning Commission, purchased this iron alloy painted sculpture for the City in 1968 with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
Erected by Museum Without Walls. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 39° 57.347′ N, 75° 10.04′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherry Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway on Cherry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friends Select School (within shouting distance of this marker); Power And Politics (within shouting distance of this marker); Green Spaces, Fresh Air Making The City Beautiful (about 500 feet away); Kopernik (about 600 feet away); Civilian Public Service (about 600 feet away); General Tadeusz Kosciuszko (about 700 feet away); Green Building at Friends Center (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.