Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Scout Barracks / Parade Ground
In 1929, Park Commissioner Roger Andrews invited eight Eagle Scouts, including future President Gerald Ford, to serve as the “Governorís Honor Guard” and tour guides at Fort Mackinac. Scouts raised and lowered the colors daily and fired the sunset gun. They stayed in the Fort Commissary until moving into these barracks, built in 1934. The building was constructed by the Mackinac Island Civilian Conservation Corps unit, many of whom were World War I veterans. In 1938, the program began to include Boy Scouts at all levels. Additions to the barracks were completed in 1961 and in 1975. They followed the style of the original building. At the urging of Michigan First Lady Helen Milliken, Girl Scouts joined the scout service program in 1975.
In the nineteenth century, this area served as a parade ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Mackinac. Here, soldiers practiced marching, the manual of arms, bayonet skills and other military drills. By 1843, the parade ground was formally developed and fenced. In the 1870ís several buildings were erected on the edge of the parade ground, including horse stables and housing for non-commissioned officers. The parade ground also served as home field for the Fort Mackinac Baseball
Michigan Historical Commission – Michigan Historical Center
Registered Local Site No. 2266, 2015
This marker is the property of the State of Michigan
Erected 2015 by Michigan Historical Commission – Michigan Historical Center.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 45° 51.192′ N, 84° 37.017′ W. Marker is in Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker is on Huron Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker located at entrance to Parade Ground and Scout Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Fort Mackinac (within shouting distance of this marker); Greany Grove (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Cass Cliff" (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Fur Company Store Island House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skull Cave (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Holmes (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Holmes (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Marker Commemorates the Rear Parade Ground and Scout Barracks.
The rear parade ground north of Fort Mackinac is a distinctive Mackinac Island landscape, an integral part of the operation of Fort Mackinac for both military use and, beginning in 1885, as a baseball field. After the closing of the fort in 1895 the Mackinac Island State Park Commission maintained this historic landscape, including the baseball field. The barracks for the Mackinac Island Scout Service Camp was built here in 1934. (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Scout Barracks.
The Scout Barracks was built in 1934 to accommodate the Honor Troops serving on the Island. Troop information is posted each week by the Scout Coordinator. (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. A 75-Year Tradition of Summer Service.
During the 75th anniversary of the (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.