Creek Chub Bait Company
In 1916, Henry Dills, Carl Heinzerling,and George Schulthess established the company, which became one of the country's leading manufacturers of artificial fishing lures. Crafted by a largely female workforce, the high quality lures featured a patented spray-painted scale pattern and metal lip, giving them a lifelike appearance and motion to help attract fish.
The company shipped products all over the world and become a key industry here. Popular lures included the Wiggler, Pike, Darter, and Injured Minnow: many fishermen used them to catch record-setting fish. Business slowed during WWII as European supply markets closed, but grew rapidly in post-war years. Factory closed by 1979: lures remain popular among collectors.
Erected 2017 by Indiana Historical Bureau.
Location. 41° 20.961′ N, 85° 8.106′ W. Marker is in Garrett, Indiana, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Keyser Street just east of Randolf Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Two hundred feet East of Garrett City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 East Keyser Street, Garrett IN 46738, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Regarding Creek Chub Bait Company. Marker honors Creek Chub Bait Company for fishing lures, employing women and more information has been linked to the state website at IN.gov/history
Additional keywords. The company was a leader of women in the workplace.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.