Pentwater in Oceana County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1869 S. A. Browne opened a 24' x 80' expansion with groceries to the existing 20' x 50' building
1872 First brick building erected in Pentwater
1874 The "Oceana Times" used this building to produce their newspaper
1880 - 1928 "Pentwater News" was published in this building
1928 E.L. Bates bought the building and it became known as the Pentwater New Block with multiple uses.
1960 Second floor was renovated into apartments
In approximately 1968 the building was The Candle Shop
1980 The building was purchased by Donna & Chick Kolinger
1983 The Brass Anchor opened it's doors after a three year renovation
Erected by Pentwater Historical Society.
Location. 43° 46.62′ N, 86° 25.963′ W. Marker is in Pentwater, Michigan, in Oceana County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hancock Street (Business U.S. 31) and Fifth Street, on the right when traveling north on South Hancock Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 South Hancock Street, Pentwater MI 49449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lumber Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Graveyard of Ships / Veterans' Day Storm Ships and Shipping (within shouting distance of this marker); Pentwater Wire Products (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lites Drug Store (about 800 feet away); White Elephant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gustafson's (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pet Hollywood (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pentwater.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 97 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.