Tower Train Museum
On July 31, 1884, ten wooden rail cars of iron ore hauled by a coal-burning engine, left the Soudan Mine bound for Two Harbors. The historic 68-mile rail trip took seven hours. After the city was granted a charter, the railroad was extended into Tower in 1886.
That same year, the Illinois Steel Company, representing H.H. Porter, Cyrus McCormick, Marshall Field, and John D. Rockefeller, acquired a rich ore deposit near Ely, and bought the Minnesota Iron Company holdings, including the D&IR. In 1901, this company became the United States Steel Corporation.
The steam locomotive pictured was built in 1910 for the D&IR by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. It was typical of those used to haul iron ore and passengers until 1953, when diesel locomotives were put into service.
Location. 47° 48.278′ N, 92° 16.769′ W.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to DM&IR Engine # 1218 (a few steps from this marker); The Old Vermilion Trail and Winston City (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hanka Homestead (approx. 8.7 miles away); Apostolic Lutheran Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Nelimark Sauna (approx. 10.6 miles away); Alma Norha Playhouse (approx. 10.6 miles away); Embarrass Co-op (approx. 10.8 miles away).
More about this marker. Under the train shed just in front of the locomotive
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2017, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on August 18, 2017, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2017, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.