Durand in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity United Methodist Church
That original church building was completely destroyed by a cyclone in April 1908. Services were held in a tent until a new building was completed on the very spot where it stands today; a dedication service was held in 1910. Even though the cost of the new structure was $4,733, that price included a piano and furnishings. Some time between the original formation of Trinity and the building of the current sanctuary, the name of the town had changed from Stinson to Durand. The church’s present sanctuary is located on the site of the antebellum home of Dr. James Winslow Stinson. While digging the foundation for our new addition in 2004,
In 1954, forward thinking church members decided there was a need for an addition to the church. The current parlor, with a kitchen and dining area in the basement underneath, was completed and has
(Continued on other side)
Trinity United Methodist Church
(Continued from other side)
been enjoyed since that time. A complete renovation of the sanctuary, including restoring the beautiful woodwork and pews to the original splendor, was completed in 1978. The stained glass windows on the north side of the church were destroyed by a hailstorm on July 23, 1984. New windows, matching the old ones, were created and installed; glass that was salvaged from the broken sanctuary windows was used to make the two smaller windows currently located in the church vestibules.
The last renovation of the sanctuary was completed in 2003 and included new carpeting and wall coverings. A new sanctuary piano, given in memory of Gladys Crowder, and new chandeliers, given in memory of Henry S. Crowder, Jr., are some of the latest additions to this historic and most beautiful building often called The “Little White Church on the Hill.”
Trinity United Methodist Church is still going strong. Many descendants of the original church founders and many new Trinity families worship here are each Sunday, rooted in a rich heritage of faith in Christ and growing toward a strong future.
Location. 32° 55.2′ N, 84° 46.233′ W. Marker is in Durand, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker is on Palm Lane 0 miles west of Chipley Highway (Georgia Route 18), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The postal address for the church is 25 Palm Lane, Warm Springs, GA 31830 as the Postal Service does not recognize the community of Durand (which does appear on many road maps). Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Palm Ln, Warm Springs GA 31830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Union Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dowdell's Knob (approx. 4.7 miles away); Warm Springs Treatment Pools (approx. 5 miles away); Franklin D. Roosevelt (approx. 5.2 miles away); Georgia Warm Springs Foundation (approx. 5.2 miles away); Franklin Delano Roosevelt (approx. 5.5 miles away); The Little White House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Depot Site Warm Springs (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 19, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.