Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets
The two matching brick houses at the corner (behind you) date to 1901 and stand on the site of a brick chapel (no longer standing) built in 1849 by the First Presbyterian Church. The chapel held Wednesday evening prayer services, meetings of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and Sunday afternoon and evening services for African Americans. The Church sold the chapel when it built an addition to the church building.
Cotton planter and merchant Thomas Henderson began building Magnolia Hall about 1858. Its walls show the local practice of applying stucco over brick, then scoring it into blocks and painting it to resemble stone. In 1976, the Natchez Garden Club acquired and restored the house, which today is a house museum.
Pleasant Hill (one block south) was probably built for John Henderson in the late 1830s. In 1858, his son Thomas Henderson moved the house to the west side of Pearl Street, one block south. He built Magnolia Hall on Pleasant Hill's former site.
About twenty downtown houses no longer stand on their original sites. Early house movers rolled houses on logs, with muscle power provided by teams of oxen, mules, or horses.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of State and South Pearl streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets (about 400 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Temple B'Nai Israel (about 400 feet away); Intersection of State and South Wall streets (about 500 feet away); William Johnson House (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The William Johnson House (about 600 feet away); In Gratitude (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2017.