Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oconee in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ball's Ferry

 
 
Ball's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 18, 2014
1. Ball's Ferry Marker
Inscription. On Nov. 23, 1864, Maj. Gen. H. C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia, was in Oconee (No. 14, CRR), 10 miles N. with a mixed force [Confederate] of 1200 men and 6 guns (including the Corps of Cadets, Georgia Military Institute) to defend the RR bridge over the Oconee River against forays from Gen. Shermanís army [Union]. Learning that enemy cavalry had reached Ballís Ferry (1/4 mile N), crossed on rafts, and driven back the Confederate pickets guarding the stream, he sent Maj. A. L. Hartridge, CSA, with 2 companies of cavalry, 80 infantry and 2 guns to drive the enemy back across the river.

Hartridge reached the vicinity about 3:00 P.M., deployed his small force and, after fighting through the swamps east of the river, routed the enemy. He entrenched a position along the east bank, then returned to Oconee with part of his command.

On the 25th, Lt. Col. Andrew Young, 30th Ga. Bn., arrived with a detachment of Gainesí Alabama cavalry and assumed command. The works were strengthened and skirmishers were deployed on both flanks, but the arrival on the west bank of strong enemy columns, with artillery, soon made the position untenable. Upon reporting that the enemy was crossing the river above and below him, he was ordered to extricate his command and withdraw to Tennille. There he was joined early on the 26th by Gen. Wayne and
Ball's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 18, 2014
2. Ball's Ferry Marker
Looking west on Georgia Highway 57 toward the Oconee River and the new bridge.
the main body, which had been flanked out of its position at the bridge.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 158-11.)
 
Location. 32° 46.933′ N, 82° 56.783′ W. Marker is in Oconee, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 57 and Unnamed private road leading S from GA Hwy 57 when traveling west on State Route 57. Touch for map. The marker is located approximately 1.2 miles west of Georgia Highway 68. It is approximately 1/3 mile east of the new bridge over the Oconee River. Marker is in this post office area: Oconee GA 31067, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ball's Ferry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sherman's Right Wing (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Defense of the Oconee Bridge (approx. 5.1 miles away); Irwinís Crossroad (approx. 7.6 miles away); Toomsboro (was approx. 8.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Robert Toombs (approx. 8.3 miles away); Jared Irwin (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oconee.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally erected on the west bank
Ball's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 18, 2014
3. Ball's Ferry Marker
Looking west on Georgia Highway 57 toward the Oconee River and the new bridge
of the Oconee River in Wilkinson County and carries that number (County 158). When the bridge was reconstructed a few year ago the marker was reinstalled in a more appropriate location on the east bank of the river, which puts it in Washington County. The marker was not renumbered to reflect its new location.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 120 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement