Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. John's Methodist Church

 
 
St. John's Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
1. St. John's Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.
Organized in 1828, this
was the first church in
Anderson. A log meeting
house built in 1830 on
West Benson Street served
the church until 1858
when a frame building
was erected on this site.
A brick church replaced
it in 1888. The present
sanctuary was completed
in 1912, the Educational
Building in 1928 and
the Activities Building
in 1956. The church was
named St. John's in 1897.

 
Erected 1962. (Marker Number 4-7.)
 
Location. 34° 30.024′ N, 82° 38.847′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on East River Street (U.S. 76) near South McDuffie Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 South McDuffie Street, Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Wilhite House (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 500 feet away); A Living Tribute (about
St. John's Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
2. St. John's Methodist Church Marker
700 feet away); William Bullein Johnson (about 700 feet away); In Commemoration of Black Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
Also see . . .
1. St.. John's United Methodist Church. Founded 1828 - Anderson's First Church (Submitted on November 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Anderson Historic District. Anderson came into being in 1826 with the formation of Anderson County, and as a courthouse seat, the community was quick to develop. St. John's Church is part of the district. (Submitted on November 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. St. John's Methodist Church
This church is the oldest congregation organized within the original town limits,
St. John's Methodist Church Sign image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
3. St. John's Methodist Church Sign
dating from 1828. The present brick sanctuary was built in 1912, the latest of several churches which occupied the same site. (Source: Anderson Historic District National Register nomination form.)
    — Submitted September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John's Methodist Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
4. St. John's Methodist Church Cornerstone
St. John's Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
5. St. John's Methodist Church
St. John's Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, July 14, 2003
6. St. John's Methodist Church
St. John's Methodist Church Bell Tower image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, July 14, 2003
7. St. John's Methodist Church Bell Tower
Garden Located on the North Side of the Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 23, 2008
8. Garden Located on the North Side of the Sanctuary
St. John's Methodist Church<br>Historical Postcard image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott
9. St. John's Methodist Church
Historical Postcard
St. John's Methodist Church Administrative Offices<br>303 East River Street image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 23, 2012
10. St. John's Methodist Church Administrative Offices
303 East River Street
Listed in the Anderson Historic District, National Historical Register of Historic Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,133 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6, 7. submitted on September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   8. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   9. submitted on January 16, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   10. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement