Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Sir William C. Van Horne
Born in Chelsea, Illinois, Van Horne, after a brilliant career with a number of railway companies in the mid-western United States, accepted the position of general manager of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1881. Construction of this pioneer Canadian transcontinental line was pushed ahead rapidly under his energetic supervision, despite many difficulties of a physical and financial nature which would have discouraged a man of lesser ability. Its completion in 1885 ensured Canadian unity. Through his influence this community, previously known as Prince Arthur's Landing, was named Port Arthur in 1883-84. Elected president of the company in 1888, Van Horne was knighted in 1894 for his services to Canada.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 48° 26.166′ N, 89° 13.069′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is on Cumberland Street North 0.1 kilometers north of Van Norman Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Cumberland Street North, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7A 4L6, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (about 180 meters away, measured The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Connaught Square (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); C.D. Howe (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Simon James Dawson (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Cummins Site (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 3.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - William Van Horne. (Submitted on August 22, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.