Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Wilhite House
Dr. P.A. Wilhite
Discoverer Of Ether
Location. 34° 30.002′ N, 82° 38.869′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on South McDuffie Street south of East River Street (U.S. 76/178), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 S. McDuffie Street, Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Living Tribute (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Commemoration of Black Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bullein Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Regarding Historic Wilhite House. The house is also known as the Wilhite-Brown
Also see . . .
1. The Wilhite House. Built by Dr. P.A. Wilhite about 1858, the house is still a handsome residence (Submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Ether. Ether is a class of organic compounds that contain an ether group — an oxygen atom connected to two alkyl or aryl groups — of general formula R–O–R. (Submitted on September 21, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Eight molecules that changed the rules of the game: Diethyl Ether. Diethyl Ether, also simply known as ether, chemical formula CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3, is not a particularly pleasant compound at first sight: it is highly flammable, with tendencies of explosiveness, toxic in high doses, and with an unpleasant, suffocating smell… but in fact it is a really precious substance. (Submitted on November 2, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. The Wilhite House and Early Owners
Dr. Wilhite was a native of Georgia but graduated from the medical college in Charleston in 1852 and the next year located in Anderson. Several years earlier he had married Miss Cora Hillis. They lived for a few years in the old Towers House on Whitner Street before building their beautiful mansion on McDuffie Street.
The original family occupied the splendid mansion for about eighty years. A granddaughter of Philip & Cora, Miss Mary Wilhite was the last Wilhite to occupy the home. It has recently come to our attention that Mary Wilhite never married because her father, Frank Wilhite, forbid her to marry or risk being disinherited. In those days, it would have been quite a disgrace to be a spinster, especially a wealthy one. There is often unexplained “activity” following a wedding at The Wilhite House; simple, harmless things like switches being turned off, flowers coming out of vases, female laughter, items disappearing then reappearing the next day. It is my belief that Miss Mary is enjoying the weddings of other brides, because she never had the privilege
In 1939, John Donald Brown purchased the house where he and his wife, Frances Harper of Greenwood, lived until the late 1980s. The Browns are descendants of George and Rachel Felton Brown who migrated to the Pendleton District from North Carolina in 1805, influenced by their friend, Arthur Gentry. They purchased a 408 acre tract of land for $1.75 per acre from an original land grant made to Peter Keys by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney when he was governor of the state eight years earlier. John Donald Brown's forefathers were farmers until shortly before the Dexter Grocery Company was established in 1903. The Chamber of Commerce brochure of 1909 stated that the company was owned and operated by Dexter Brown, a wholesale dealer in groceries and supplies of all kinds.
— Submitted November 2, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,532 times since then and 139 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on November 2, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.