Providence in Providence County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
Erected in 1822 by Nicholas Brown, 1786
Trustee 1791 – 1825, Treasurer 1796 – 1825, Fellow 1825 – 1841, as a gift to the University which bears his name.
Renovated in 1891 under the direction of Marshall Woods, 1845, Trustee 1856 – 1899, Treasurer 1866 – 1882.
In 1959 the exterior was restored and the interior completely reconstructed through the generosity of the following contributors:
The Class of 1908
B. A. Ballou and Company
John Nicholas Brown, Fellow 1935 –
Margaret Hazard Goddard
Robert H. Ives Goddard, trustee 1946 –
G. Mason Gross, 1928
Hope Goddard Iselin
Robert M. Lord, 1914
Hunter S. Marston, 1908, Trustee 1957 –
Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith
A total of 9173 alumni and friends who gave through the Brown University Fund
Location. 41° 49.604′ N, 71° 24.23′ W. Marker is in Providence, Rhode Island, in Providence County. Marker can be reached from Waterman Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the subject building, at eye level, just
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown University Slave Trade Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); University Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brown Bear (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Horace Mann (about 600 feet away); Stephan Hopkins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Congdon Street Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pembroke College Tribute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Providence.
Also see . . .
1. Hope College (From Martha Mitchell’s Encyclopedia Brunoniana).
Hope College was built in 1822 through the munificence of Nicholas Brown. In 1821 a committee of the Corporation had been appointed to consider erecting another building and was authorized to select a suitable site and solicit donations. On January 13, 1823 the committee reported that a lot had been purchased from Nathan Waterman, on which an “elegant brick building ... in length one hundred and twenty feet, width forty feet, four stories high, and containing (Submitted on August 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hope College: Brown’s Oldest Residence Hall.
Hope College sits unassumingly on the northwestern corner of Brown University’s Main Green, its brick exterior easily overlooked beside the striking columns of its neighbor Manning Hall or the bustling Blue Room café which borders Hope College to the east. (Submitted on August 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The History of Brown and Ives - 1792-1874 Part II.
Nicholas began his contributions to the college in 1792 with a gift of $500.00 and in 1804 he donated a gift of $5000.00. His brothers were also strong supporters of the college and the college voted in that year to change the name to Brown University in honor of the family's generosity and support. In 1822, Nicholas paid for and built another hall for the University which was named "Hope College" after his sister Hope Ives. (Submitted on August 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.