Plymouth in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Massachusetts Society of the Sons of the American Revolution came to Plymouth on October 12, 1920 to dedicate this replica of the old Powder House. The original structure had been erected in Plymouth in 1779 and removed about 1880.
The Society contributed the money to build the red brick reproduction for Plymouth’s 300th Anniversary in 1921. The building is dedicated to the descendants of the pilgrims by birth of the spirit who aided in the establishment of America’s independence. The present brick building, like the original, stands in the old cemetery, originally called Fort Hill, where the Pilgrims built their first fort.
Location. 41° 57.344′ N, 70° 40.023′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker can be reached from School Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Burial Hill cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Powder House (a few steps from this marker); Mr. Thomas Clarke (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Warren (about 300 feet away); Major William Bradford First Fort (about 400 feet away); Robert Cushman (about 400 feet away); Tercentenary Cannons (about 500 feet away); Alexander Scammell (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 185 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.