Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Le Vieux Village

Established 1988

 
 
Le Vieux Village Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
1. Le Vieux Village Marker
Inscription.
French for "the old village," Le Vieux Village is a park created by a collection of restored historic structures from Opelousas and surrounding areas of St. Landry Parish. The village depicts the unique and diverse historical and cultural heritage that is Opelousas. Although the village showcases structures from the mid-1700s to the mid-1900s, Opelousas is interwoven into the development of Louisiana at a much earlier date

The city takes its name from the Opelousa Indians, a small band of the historic Attakapa Tribe, which lived in the area for thousands of years. The Native Americans have been here since prehistoric times. As early as 1706, the Opelousas Country was known to Frenchman. France sent a military exploration team to the Opelousas area to establish a French governing presence here in 1719. By 1720, Opelousas had become the mid-way stopping point for travelers going between Natchitoches and New Orleans. Opelousas in Louisiana's third oldest city, founded in 1720.

In 1763, Louis Pellerin, a French soldier stationed at Opelousas, received a land grant to establish a permanent settlement. The original streets of Opelousas were laid out during this time. Acadians (Cajuns) began arriving in the Opelousas region two years later in 1765. A military garrison was established here while Opelousas was under Spanish control until

Le Vieux Village Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
2. Le Vieux Village Marker
1801.

Following the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the County of Opelousas was created, with Opelousas becoming the seat of government in 1805. On March 31, 1807, the county was renamed St. Landry Parish after the Catholic Church in Opelousas. Seven parishes were created from the original Opelousas County. For this reason, the parish is often referred to as "Old Imperial St. Landry Parish," This territory extended from the Atchafalaya River to the east and the Sabine River to the west and from present day Avoyelles and Rapides parishes to the north to the Gulf of Mexico to the south.

Opelousas became the capital of Confederate Louisiana for almost a year during the Civil War. The Lt. Governor at the time lived on Liberty Street. His home was used as the Governor's Mansion in the state.

Because of its resilient people, the city survived the American Civil War, Reconstruction and welcomed the Industrial Revolution. Opelousas has since become a destination for its history, culture and its "joie de vivre."
 
Erected by City of Opelousas, Louisiana.
 
Location. 30° 31.889′ N, 92° 4.44′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry (U.S. 190) east of South Campus Street, on the left when traveling west

Le Vieux Village Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
3. Le Vieux Village Marker
. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.S. Clark High School (a few steps from this marker); Rosa B. Scott (Anderson) (a few steps from this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Jarrell Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Macland Plantation Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2017.
Paid Advertisement