Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth

 
 
The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 12, 2014
1. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker
Inscription. Thirteen members established the Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth on July 16, 1836. The original meetinghouse was completed by March 1837. Reverend Jesse H. Campbell served as the first pastor from 1836-1846. . Following the Civil War, the church was reconstructed in 1870. Serving from 1865-1900, Reverend Asa Monroe Marshall was the last known pastor. Services were held at the church until the early 1940s.

Restoration to the church began in May 2012. Supervised by Carling James Brackey, the work was completed in December 2012. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth played a significant part in the lives of people who live in Kinderhook and surrounding districts of southern Putnam County, Georgia. The restored church will continue to stand as a poignant reminder of the past.

The restoration was completed in honor of the original church members and in memory of their descendants, many of whom are buried in the adjoining cemetery.
 
Erected 2013 by Sandy Springs Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Location. 33° 12.683′ N, 83° 25.917′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is on Pierce Chapel Road SW half a mile north of Gray Road SW (U.S.
The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 12, 2014
2. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker
129), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The church can be seen from Pierce Chapel Road with slight difficulty. It is a short distance up a driveway from the road. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cobb's Quarter, Sherman's Campsite (approx. 6.8 miles away); Howell Cobb Plantation (approx. 6.8 miles away); Blountsville (approx. 7.6 miles away); a different marker also named Blountsville (approx. 7.6 miles away); Uncle Remus Museum (approx. 8 miles away); The Town Well Shelter (approx. 8 miles away); Branch Bank of the State of Georgia at Eatonton (approx. 8.3 miles away); Putnam County Confederate Monument (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion
 
The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 12, 2014
3. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker
The church is the building to the right.
The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 12, 2014
4. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth Marker
The marker is to the left of the church, somewhat difficult to see.
The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 12, 2014
5. The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth
This church building was reconstructed after the Civil War in 1870 and restored in 2012.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 27, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement