Sturgeon Falls in Nipissing District, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Sturgeon Falls
The development of Sturgeon Falls began in 1881 with the arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway constructions teams and the opening of a post office. About a year earlier the community's first permanent settler, James Holditch, had acquired land here on the Sturgeon River about two miles north-east of a former Hudson's Bay Company post, which he later purchased. The erection of sawmills and the rapid growth of the lumbering and pulp-paper industries stimulated the development of the village and attracted many French-Canadian settlers to the area. Some of the most prominent were Joseph Michaud, Zotique Mageau, Georges Lévesque, J.D. Cockburn and J.A. Lévis. In 1895, with a population of about 850, Sturgeon Falls was incorporated as a Town.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 46° 21.956′ N, 79° 55.984′ W. Marker is in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, in Nipissing District. Marker is on Front Street (Provincial Highway 17) 0.4 kilometers east of Ottawa Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out overlooking the Sturgeon River. Marker is in this post office area: Sturgeon Falls, Ontario P2B 2G7, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least The Reverend Charles Alfred Marie Paradis (approx. 15.5 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.