Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lunenburg in Lunenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lunenburg County Courthouse

 
 
Lunenburg County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
1. Lunenburg County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. William Howard and Dabney Cosby, who had worked for Thomas Jefferson, completed this courthouse in 1827. The second courthouse to occupy this site, it is a temple-form building employing the Doric order and was influenced by Jefferson’s Roman Revival style. It originally included an apsidal rear wall. The exterior stairs were added later in the 19th century. Lunenburg’s county seat, originally located near present-day Chase City, was moved here after Mecklenburg County was formed in 1765. This town was laid off as Lewiston in 1817 and later renamed Lunenburg Court House. Two law offices (built 1842 and 1888) remain on the courthouse square.
 
Erected 2013 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SN-67.)
 
Location. 36° 57.684′ N, 78° 15.967′ W. Marker is in Lunenburg, Virginia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 49) and Hardy Road (Route 675), on the right when traveling west on Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lunenburg VA 23952, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Court House (a few steps from this marker); Lunenburg County Confederate Monument
Lunenburg County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
2. Lunenburg County Courthouse Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Nathaniel Lee Hawthorne (approx. 2.8 miles away); The People's Community Center (approx. 2.9 miles away); Town of Victoria (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Glebe of Cumberland Parish (approx. 5.4 miles away); St. John’s Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Craig's Mill (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Lunenburg County Virginia History. “Lunenburg is one of only thirteen counties in Virginia known as “The Hanover Counties” because they bear names associated with various persons of the royal House of Hanover. Lunenburg is also historically known as ‘The Old Free State of Lunenburg,’ a title bestowed at the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. Lunenburg, largely agricultural, is known for its red clay and climate suited to various crops, mainly tobacco which has been and remains the principal cash crop. The abundant red clay was beneficial for building, resulting in the historic courthouse and many of its antebellum (pre-war) homes and chimneys being constructed of hand-kilned bricks from native soil.” (Submitted on August 28, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.) 
Lunenburg County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
3. Lunenburg County Courthouse

 
Categories. ArchitecturePolitical Subdivisions
 
Law Offices, Lunenburg Courthouse, Virginia image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
4. Law Offices, Lunenburg Courthouse, Virginia
On the left is the Tscharner Woodson Law Office, c. 1842. On the right the Isaac Bonaparte Bell Law Office, c. 1888. Both are on the Virginia Landmarks Register and on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement