Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Courthouse Arboretum
Erected 2003 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 33° 24.42′ N, 91° 3.158′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and North Edison Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Washington County Chancery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 923 Washington Avenue, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Nelson Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenville's Writers (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Matthew's A. M. E. Church First National Bank Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); NRP Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Greenville Trolley System (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stein Mart (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding The Courthouse Arboretum. The original courthouse was burned by Union troops during the Civil War and replaced in 1890 with a structure comprised primarily of Illinois brownstone. Its original planners were avid conservationists and landscaped the grounds with a variety of trees indigenous to the area, creating the Courthouse Arboretum.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.