Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Portal in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Portal

<----<<<<

 
 
Old Portal Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
1. Old Portal Marker
Inscription. The original Portal was located 2 miles north of the current site on Old Portal Road. It got its name in 1894, when the U.S. Postal Service approved a post office for Portal. The E. E. Foy Company, of Effingham County, built a mercantile store that was the center of the new town. Portal was located near the end of a private railroad that Foy built to transport logs to his sawmill at Rocky Ford in Screven County. Farmers and timber workers prospered in this new town. Prominent family names in Portal were Davis, Finch, Parsons, and McCroan.

By 1904 the axe and the saw had claimed most of the timber in the area, and the Foy Company looked elsewhere for uncut forests. After closing the company store, Foy sold titles to lots of Old Portal.

A public rail line – the Savannah, Augusta, and Northern Railway – began serving this area of Bulloch County in 1907. People of Portal moved to a bustling community near the new railroad. In the words of the historian, R. Frank Saunders, Jr., “Portal has a heritage – proud and honorable – second to none.”
 
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
 
Location. 32° 32.367′ N, 81° 
Old Portal Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
2. Old Portal Marker
56.1′ W. Marker is in Portal, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 80 and Old Portal Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 80. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portal GA 30450, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Willow Hill Elementary School for Negroes (approx. 2.8 miles away); Willow Hill School and Community (approx. 3 miles away); Banks Dairy Farm (approx. 6.4 miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); Skirmish at Statesboro (approx. 10 miles away); 1790 Union Meeting House (approx. 10.1 miles away); Pulaski, Georgia (approx. 10.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portal.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestrySettlements & Settlers
 
Old Portal Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
3. Old Portal Marker
Looking north on Old Portal Road toward the original site of the community. There is virtually no remnant of the original settlement.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement