Oxford Female Institute / Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892
Oxford Female Institute
Chartered in 1849, the Institute was the first of three women's colleges established in Oxford. The original brick building was completed in 1850, and forms the core structure. The Reverend John Witherspoon Scott, a member of Miami University's early faculty, headed the Institute. In 1867, the Institute merged with Oxford Female College and later became the Oxford College for Women. Miami University acquired the building in 1928; in 1930 the Daughters of the American Revolution rededicated it as the "Caroline Scott Harrison Memorial." From 1929-1998 it served as a Miami dormitory, nicknamed "Ox College." Since 2003, the three-story building has housed the Oxford Community Arts Center. The structure is the oldest extant women's college building in Ohio. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892
Born in 1832 four blocks east of here in her parents' home, Caroline Scott completed her education at the Oxford Female Institute. It was headed by her father, Reverend John Witherspoon Scott, formerly a professor at Miami University and a strong advocate for women's education. In 1853, Caroline Scott married Benjamin Harrison, a Miami University graduate, in her parents' home directly across the street. After leaving Oxford, Harrison,
Erected 2014 by Citizens For Historic and Preservation Services W. E. Smith Family Charitable Trust Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number OHS 32- 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 30.605′ N, 84° 44.742′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on South College Ave, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 South College Ave, Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alpha Delta Phi (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother of Fraternities (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey William Holmes McGuffey House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Black (Pugh's Mill) Covered Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Additional keywords. Daughters of the American Revolution
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.