Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A century ago, Waukesha was known as “Spring City” because of its many springs. Records show the presence of more than 50 springs within the City of Waukesha and more were scattered around the County.
Two springs were located here in Frame Park, Hobo and Asahel (later called Orchard Spring). Both are shown on the 1891 map of Waukesha, although Hobo is not named. Towering trees formed the roof for both springs, and the slower pace characteristic of that earlier time is still found here at Hobo Spring.
Erected 2007 by Waukesha County Historical Museum. (Marker Number 34-07.)
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 43° 1.216′ N, 88° 13.265′ W. Marker was in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of East Moreland Blvd and White Touch for map. Marker is located in Frame Park, off East Moreland Blvd entrance. This marker has been taken down so that another organization could put up their own marker. Marker was in this post office area: Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. New Tribes Bible Institute (approx. half a mile away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); Moor Mud Baths Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. ¾ mile away); Weber Brewery (approx. ¾ mile away); Silurian Spring (approx. ¾ mile away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. ¾ mile away); Rotunda (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
1. Recent History
In 1997 after approval from The Waukesha Landmarks Commission, Fox River Development Board, and the Park Board, Deborah Hankel headed up a restoration project for the spring. The project was funded through a HUD grant and donations from others such as the 1834 Club and Ralph North. The old wading pool was found again and all the original stones were found, except one. Luckily, the Halquist Stone Company donated a matching stone which was very rare and had not been available
— Submitted July 15, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,104 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on August 30, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.