Shepherdstown in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Trinity Episcopal Church
During the War Between the States, Shepherdstown was in the path of both armies and changed hands several times. Services were held each Sunday despite the fact that one week the congregation might be populated with Union soldiers and the next by Confederates. The church was fortunate to escape damage during the war. Following the Battle of Antietam, most Shepherdstown buildings were used as hospitals for the wounded. Trinity, however, as the newest church in town, was dedicated as a place of public worship for all.
Following the War, since the church did not provide space for Sabbath School, the Chapel was built as a space for
Throughout the history of Shepherdstown, Trinity Church has been a vital and important part of the community. May she long stand as witness to the presence of Christ.
Location. 39° 25.887′ N, 77° 48.47′ W. Marker is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of West German Street and South Church Street, on the right when traveling east on West German Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 West German Street, Shepherdstown WV 25443, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reformed Church Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Hospital Site (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spirit of 1775 Beeline March to Cambridge (about 600 feet away); Pack Horse Ford Chapter, D.A.R. (about 600 feet away); Shepherd State Teachers College (about 600 feet away); Shepherdstown (about 600 feet away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (about 600 feet away); War Memorial (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shepherdstown.
Also see . . . Trinity Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 31, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.