Near McKenney in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Origins of 4-H in Virginia
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-86.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the 4-H Youth Program marker series.
Location. 36° 59.643′ N, 77° 46.221′ W. Marker is near McKenney, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of McKenney Highway (Virginia Route 40) and Old White Oak Road (County Route 610), on the right when traveling west on McKenney Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Kenney VA 23872, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Birthplace of Roger Atkinson Pryor (a few steps from this marker); Brunswick County, Virginia (approx. 4 miles away); Birch's Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dinwiddie County / Brunswick County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Darvills School (approx. 5 miles away); Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley (1818-1907) (approx. 5˝ miles away); Sapony Episcopal Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Butterwood Chapel (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKenney.
Also see . . . 4-H History. “Lizzie A. Jenkins was appointed in May, 1913, at Hampton Institute, to begin demonstration work with African American families. Her assignment was to organize and conduct canning programs and organize canning clubs among African American girls in the counties of southeast Virginia. The first club work with African American boys in the Commonwealth began in 1915 at a meeting of African American agents at Hampton Institute. Field staff agent Jessie M. Jones presided at this meeting.” (Submitted on August 31, 2017.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.