Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church (Centralia)

 
 
First Baptist Church (Centralia) Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 31, 2017
1. First Baptist Church (Centralia) Marker
Inscription. In 1867, the African American members of nearby Salem Baptist Church separated and founded Salem African Baptist Church. The new congregation held worship services under a brush arbor before constructing a building here on a one-acre tract deeded in 1869 by members of the mother church. The congregation soon changed its name to First Baptist Church (Centralia). Early in the 20th century, members erected a large new sanctuary incorporating elements of the Gothic Revival and Colonial Revival styles. Razed by fire in 1996, this structure was rebuilt to original specifications in 1997, In 1963, the growing congregation moved two miles east.
 
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-89.)
 
Location. 37° 22.863′ N, 77° 27.318′ W. Marker is in Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on Centralia Road (Virginia Route 145) just west of Chester Road (Virginia Route 144). Touch for map. It is just outside of (west of) the town line (the railroad tracks). Marker is in this post office area: Chester VA 23831, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Half-Way House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Halfway House
First Baptist Church (Centralia) Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 21, 2017
2. First Baptist Church (Centralia) Marker
(approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Half-Way House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Drewry’s Bluff Battlefield (approx. 1.7 miles away); Second Battle of Drewry's Bluff (approx. 1.7 miles away); Into the "Bottle" (approx. 1.8 miles away); Proctor's Creek Fight (approx. 1.8 miles away); Drewry’s Bluff Defences (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church Centralia History. “The plot of land on which the first church was located was given by Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Chalkley (White). The small group of members who came from Salem Baptist Church, worked their way from a bush arbor to worship in a small building located on the west side of the plot. Under the pastorate of Rev. T. H. Johnson a new building was erected. During the administration of Reverend J. H. Binford, this same building was remodeled into the building we know today as Historical First Baptist Centralia.” (Submitted on August 31, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker showing its surroundings • Photos of the church, when it was here and in the new location • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement