Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Although the city had two prominent cemeteries, the John Wise burying grounds on South Main St. and the Nevils burying grounds on North Main St., a group of citizens met on May 17, 1889, “to take steps in locating a place for the burial of the dead.” They selected this site which today is the city owned Eastside Cemetery with an entrance on Northside Drive, East.
The first citizen of Statesboro to be buried in the new cemetery was Mr. Willie Heddlestone who was born on April 17, 1856, and died on March 8, 1890. Other early burials included a number of bodies moved from the Wise and Nevil burying grounds. On July 25, 1956, the City of Statesboro assumed responsibility for the beautification of the Eastside Cemetery.
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is just inside the cemetery entrance drive, which leads east from the intersection of Northside Drive (US Highway 80) and Turner Street. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bulloch County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Statesboro Confederate Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. 0.6 miles away); Statesboro High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); World War II Prison Camp (approx. 0.8 miles away); United States vs. Darby Lumber Company (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.