Titusville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Titus Church
In 1929 the congregation decided to erect a new church at another site, but the Great Depression caused a revision in plans which would "renew the original St. Titus, preserving the sacred building so dear to them in their blessed joys and greifs." (History of St. Titus Church)
Preserving the original church reqired [sic] surrounding it with the new church in such a way that the original still stands within the walls of today's church.
The altar as it looked for Christmas 1908. The interior was completely renovated in 1996 in conformity with the suggestions of the Second Vatican Council, but without damage to the church's original integrity.
St. Titus Parochial School, 1866-2007.
C. 1890. The first Roman Catholic school in Titusville was started by the Sisters of Mercy in 1871 as a boarding and day school for girls. Education was provided from elementary to post graduate school. In 1932 boys were admitted to the elementary school, and the high school became co-educational. St. Joseph Academy, where the
The original St. Titus Church which was incorporated into the current structure. C. 1864.
Erected by City of Titusville, Oil Region Alliance.
Location. 41° 37.643′ N, 79° 40.876′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of West Spring Street and West Central Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 27), on the right when traveling west on West Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 513 West Main Street, Titusville PA 16354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Titusville Iron Company, 1860 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Western NY and PA Railway Freight Station, 1892 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Titusville Oil Exchange (approx. 0.3 miles away); Titusville Trust Company, 1919 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Byron D Benson (approx. half a mile away); Titusvillia Drakei Caster (approx. half a mile away); Edwin L. Drake (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oil Creek (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.