Union Paciﬁc Freight Depot
Originally located on Court Street on the east-west route of the Union Pacific Railroad, this building was once used as a freight depot and it is one of the last train depots of its kind in Louisiana. The depot was used until the late 1980s, when Union Pacific decided to close the nearly one hundred old facility. The first railroad to come to Opelousas was Morgan's Louisiana and Texas Railroad, which later became a part of Southern Pacific Railroad, providing passenger and freight service in the fall of 1880. Recognizing the importance that the railroad industry played in the development of Opelousas, the Opelousas Tourism and Activities Committee appealed to Union Pacific to save the building. Union Pacific donated the old depot to the city in 1990, and a year later it was relocated to the village.
The Opelousas - St. Landry Chamber of Commerce and Friends of the Chamber raised money and sponsored the move of the depot to Le Vieux Village.
Erected by City of Opelousas, Louisiana.
Location. 30° 31.896′ N, 92° 4.479′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (here, next to this marker); Emar Andrepont Store (a few steps from this marker); La Chapelle House (a few steps from this marker); Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Jane Steam Engine Train (within shouting distance of this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Whiteville School House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2017. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2017.