Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ascent to Dug Gap
May 7, 1864. Grigsby's brigade (Wheeler's Cav.), after retreating from Tunnel Hill to Mill Creek Cap, camped on this road at foot of the ridge - all except Dortch's battalion, which ascended to the gap, joining the infantry post of Williamson's Arkansans.
Dortch's arrival there, being reported to h'dq'rs at Dalton, prompted a peremptory order to Grigsby to send cavalry scouts across the ridge. The 9th Ky., on reaching Dogwood Valley, early the 8th, found the Federals advancing.
Erected 1989 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 155-12.)
Location. 34° 44.405′ N, 84° 59.912′ W. Marker is in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Dug Gap Road and E. Dug Gap Mountain Road, on the right when traveling south on Dug Gap Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalton GA 30721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dug Gap (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Dug Gap (approx. 1.4 miles away); Johnny Marcus Memorial Loop The McCarty Neighborhood (approx. 2.1 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Blunt House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review (approx. 2.4 miles away); Babb's Settlement (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalton.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on March 21, 2017, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.