The Campbell Station Inn
The current Campbell Station - Farragut community, on the western edge of Knox County, had its beginnings in the late 1700s. Arriving on March 7, 1787, the Campbell clan, along with others, became the first permanent settlers of European descent to call this area home. These early settlers struggled against a hostile environment to carve a settlement out of primeval wilderness that is now called the Town of Farragut. Upon arriving, Col. David Campbell build a cabin to protect against attack by the native peoples who resented the presence of their new neighbors.
Shortly after settling the area, Col. Campbell built a stage coach station known as Campbell's Station. The original "Block House", as it was called, was built on the northwest corner of present-day Kingston Pike and Campbell Station Road. As the area grew with expansion and migration to the western frontier, the station grew as well. In 1824, Campbell sold the property to Samuel Martin for a sum of $10,000. Martin made many additions and changes to the property. It is unclear how extensive these additions were. The
The Inn served as a favorite stopping place for families, hunters and stock drivers passing through Knoxville. Recognized as one of the earliest inns in Tennessee, it was host to such notables as President Andrew Jackson, Louis Phillippe (who later became King of France), famed British geologist G. W. Featherstone and the French botanist Andre Michaux.
The house also played an important role in the Civil War battle known as the Battle of Campbell's Station which was fought in the area on Nov. 16, 1863. During the battle, the house sheltered both Union and Confederate wounded. Faint blood stains remain on the old pine floors.
Erected by Farragut Museum.
Marker series. This marker is included in the History of the Farragut Area marker series.
Location. 35° 53.3′ N, 84° 10.15′ W. Marker is in Farragut, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Campbell Station Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the walking trail in Campbell Station Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Campbell Station Road, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pleasant Forest Church & Cemetery
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 166 times since then. Last updated on September 4, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.