Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Haulover Canal

 
 
Haulover Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, September 4, 2017
1. Haulover Canal Marker
Inscription. Native Americans, explorers and settlers hauled or carried canoes and small boats over this narrow strip of land between Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. Eventually it became known as the “haulover.” Connecting both bodies of water had long plagued early settlers of this area. Spaniards visited as early as 1605 and slid boats over the ground covered with mulberry tree bark. Early settlers used rollers and skids to drag schooners across. Fort Ann was established nearby in 1837, during the 2nd Seminole War (1835-1842), to protect the haulover from Indians and carry military supplies from the lagoon to the river. In 1852, contractor G.E. Hawes dug the first canal using slave labor. It was 3 ft. deep, 14 ft. wide, and completed in time for the 3rd Seminole War (1856-1858). Steamboat and cargo ships used the passage until the railroad arrived in 1885. By 1887, the Florida Coast Line Canal and Transportation Co. dug a new and deeper canal which you see now, a short distance from the original. The Intracoastal Waterway incorporated the Haulover Canal as a federal project in 1927 to be maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Since then the channel has been dug wider and deeper, and a basin added for launching boats.
 
Erected 2006 by Brevard County Historical Commission And The
Haulover Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, September 4, 2017
2. Haulover Canal Marker
Florida Department Of State. (Marker Number F-566.)
 
Location. 28° 44.238′ N, 80° 45.264′ W. Marker is in North Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker can be reached from Courtenay Parkway North (State Road 3). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mims FL 32754, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clifton Colored School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims (approx. 7.3 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 7.8 miles away); Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 7.9 miles away); LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); LaGrange Community Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); LaGrange Community Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels
 
Haulover Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, September 4, 2017
3. Haulover Canal Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement