Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Llambias House

First Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1763, enlarged by 1788

 
 
Llambias House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
1. Llambias House Marker
Inscription. This building is significant for its Spanish and British Colonial architectural influences and in 1954 became one of the first examples of a private residence to undergo a documented restoration. Characteristics of the "St. Augustine Plan" of residential architecture include the rectangular form, projecting balcony, side entry into the private courtyard, and an inner loggia or porch. These features are unique adaptations to the climate and used locally available materials of coquina stone with stucco finish and wood. The careful restorations interprets the building as it existed during the Second Spanish Period. Designed as a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Location. 29° 53.27′ N, 81° 18.647′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Saint Francis Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 St. Francis St., Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fernandez-Llambias House (a few steps from this marker); Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Garcia-Dummett House
Llambias House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
2. Llambias House Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Francis Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 56 Park Place (about 600 feet away); Major Dade and His Command Monuments (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. ArchitectureColonial Era
 
Llambias House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
3. Llambias House Marker
Llambias House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
4. Llambias House Marker
Xavier Lopez Pellicer was born in St. Augustine, February 8, 1900, one of nine children of Andrew Joseph and Josephine Lopez Pellicer. He attended the Rutgers School of Banking, went to work for the St. Augustine National Bank in 1919 and retired as a senior vice president in 1966. He served as president of the Rotary Club; president of the Board of Trustees of Flagler Hospital and trustee for 40 years; president and director of the St. Augustine Historical Society; president of the Florida Bankers Association and president of the Florida Forestry Association. Pellicer also served for seven years as a national director of the American Forestry Association and for three years on the Florida Board of Forestry and Parks during the term of Governor Millard Caldwell. During the restoration of the Llambias House in St. Augustine, he met Fernando Rubio of Mahon, Minorca. They were responsible for the donation of a bronze statue commemorating the Minorcans. Xavier Lopez Pellicer died in 1990. His Great Floridian Plaque is located at the Llambias House, 31 St. Francis Street, St. Augustine.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida.   4. submitted on September 10, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement