Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
World’s First Public Passenger Flight
Erected 1983 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number C-2.)
Location. 38° 52.863′ N, 77° 5.036′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Arlington Boulevard (U.S. 50) and North Pershing Drive, on the right when traveling east on Arlington Boulevard. It is just outside Henry Gate for Joint Base Myer’s Henderson Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orville Wright’s First Virginia Flight (here, next to this marker); Fort Whipple (within shouting distance of this marker); 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Fort Myer Historic District (about 500 feet away); The Commander in Chief's Oak (about 500 feet away); Centennial of Military Aviation (about 500 feet away); Thomas Etholen Selfridge (about 500 feet away); Famous Firsts in Aeronautics at Fort Myer (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Also see . . . 1908: The Year the Airplane Went Public. 2008 article from Air and Space magazine. “Orville Wright joined his brother in the limelight on September 3, 1908, when he made his first public flight at Fort Myer. Like Wilbur, he continued to fly over the next two weeks, carrying passengers and meeting criteria established by the Army for the purchase of an airplane.” (Submitted on September 10, 2017.)
Categories. • Air & Space •
More. Search the internet for World’s First Public Passenger Flight.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 10, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2. submitted on September 9, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.