Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Richmond Hill

 
 
Richmond Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
1. Richmond Hill Marker
Inscription. Richmond Hill was an early name for Church Hill. Richard Adams, one of the most prominent men in Richmond, built a house on this site by the 1790s, and a second house, still standing, was constructed here about 1810. William Taylor remodeled this residence in the Italianate style in 1859, adding the second story and porches. In 1866, the Order of the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary established a monastery and school here, and they erected a chapel in 1894-95. The monastery, known as Monte Maria, was purchased in 1987 by an ecumenical Christian community, which named the property Richmond Hill and opened it as a retreat center and place of prayer for the city.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-114.)
 
Location. 37° 31.937′ N, 77° 25.334′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Grace Street and North 22nd Street, on the right when traveling east on East Grace Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2209 E Grace St, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Shockoe Valley (within shouting distance of this marker); Adams-Van Lew House
Monte Maria Monastery and Richmond Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
2. Monte Maria Monastery and Richmond Hill Marker
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 2307 E. Broad Street (about 600 feet away); Franklin Street Burying Grounds (about 600 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Welcome to Historic St. Johnís Church (about 800 feet away); George Wythe (about 800 feet away); St. Johnís Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “After the Civil War ended, Catholic Bishop John McGill requested nuns from the Archdiocese of Baltimore, to pray for the devastated city as well as to educate girls. The first order to respond was the Sisters of the Visitation, whose superior, Mother Mary Baptista, was a native of Norfolk, Virginia and sister of Father Alexander Hitzelberger (who joined the Jesuits after serving in Norfolk and Petersburg). Although the Sisters of the Visitation were generally a contemplative order in Europe, for more than sixty years they ran an elite boarding and day school on this site, which they named Monte Maria.” (Submitted on September 11, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
Richmond Hill Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
3. Richmond Hill Courtyard
Richmond Hill Courtyard and Mansion image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
4. Richmond Hill Courtyard and Mansion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement