Waldheim in Saint Tammany Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Built be German Settlers
Dedicated September 12, 1875 as
The Rev. J.B.A. Ahrens, D.D.
Presiding elder, Louisiana District
German Mission Conference of East Texas and Louisiana
Methodist Episcopal Church, South
Services in German and English for Many Years.
GERMAN SETTLEMENT CAMP GROUNDS
Erected approximately 100 feet east of the Church
under the leadership of
THE REV. GABRIEL R. ELLIS
First service held September 22, 1887.
Annual Camp Meetings which were held for 20 years
drew thousands of persons to worship.
METHODIST HISTORIC SITE
Location. 30° 32.856′ N, 90° 1.335′ W. Marker is in Waldheim, Louisiana, in Saint Tammany Parish. Marker is on State Highway 21 0.3 miles north of Cleland Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 77067 Highway 21, Covington LA 70435, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abita Springs (approx. 4.8 miles away); Walker Percy (approx. 6.4 miles away); Covington Public "Ox Lot" Parking (approx. 6½ miles away); The Covington Bank and Trust Building (approx. 6.6 miles away); Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Southern Hotel (approx. 6.6 miles away); Columbia Street Landing (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2017.