St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nuestra Señora de la Soledad
Our Lady of Solitude, Church and Hospital
A hospital was attached in 1597, thus becoming the first hospital in the continental United States.
In 1687 the chapel was enlarged into a church. It became the principal parish church after the siege of 1702, and was rebuilt in coquina stone in 1736.
When Spain ceded Florida to the British in 1763, the British converted La Soledad into St. Peter's Church (Anglican) and added a new bell tower and entrance facing west. The church continued in use until the British left Florida in 1784.
After the Spanish returned in 1784, the church was dismantled and the stone was used in 1793 in the building of a new parish church - the current Cathedral Basilica - on the Plaza.
Archaeological excavations by Florida State University in 1976-77 uncovered remnants of La Soledad and numerous burials under its floor and in the churchyard.
These burials included Native Americans and persons of European and African descent and reflect both Spanish and British burial practices. During the Civil War, according to an oral account, slaves gathered on this lot to receive news of their emancipation.
Since 1938, this site has been owned and preserved by the Sisters
Erected 2012 by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.424′ N, 81° 18.738′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Saint George Street south of Cadiz Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canova-Prince Murat House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Father Miguel O'Reilly House (about 300 feet away); Cofradia Site Coquina Well (about 300 feet away); Ximenez-Fatio House (about 400 feet away); Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (about 400 feet away); The Segui-Kirby Smith House (about 500 feet away); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.