Bay St. Louis in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a large plantation, with Sea Island cotton its principal crop, the house was once owned by Jesse Cowand (1786-1852), who fought in the Battle of New Orleans in Beale's Company, Orleans Riflemen. Elmwood Manor was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005.
Erected 2014 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 19.77′ N, 89° 19.844′ W. Marker is in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on North Beach Boulevard north of Boardman Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay Saint Louis MS 39520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Augustine’s Seminary (approx. 0.7 miles away); Naval Battle of Bay St. Louis (approx. 1.2 miles away); Publius Rutilius Rufus Pray (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis Hancock County Bank (approx. 1.4 miles away); 100 Men D.B.A. Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Joseph's Academy (approx. 1˝ miles away); Our Lady of the Gulf (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay St. Louis.
Categories. • Architecture • Disasters • Notable Buildings • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2017.