Bay St. Louis in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis
First established as the Elim Baptist Church in 1858, this congregation was dissolved in 1877 and revitalized in April 1896 as First Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. O.D. Bowen. The church moved to this location on Main Street in October 1947 after purchasing an army chapel from the surplus sale of Camp Van Dorn, a U.S. Army training base located in Centreville, Mississippi. This chapel served the church through hurricane Camille (1969) but had to be replaced after hurricane Katrina (2005).
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 30° 18.661′ N, 89° 19.642′ W. Marker is in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on Main Street near Federal Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 Main Street, Bay Saint Louis MS 39520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Publius Rutilius Rufus Pray (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock County Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Lady of the Gulf (approx. Naval Battle of Bay St. Louis (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Stanislaus College (approx. 0.3 miles away); 100 Men D.B.A. Hall (approx. half a mile away); St. Augustine’s Seminary (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay St. Louis.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Disasters •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2017.